martedì 10 aprile 2007

RAOUL AND THE KINGS OF SPAIN (TEARS FOR FEARS) - 1995


"Raoul and the kings of Spain" è il quinto album dei Tears for Fears, una band che avrebbe meritato, a mio parere, molto più successo di quanto ne abbia avuto. La mia passione nei loro confronti, testimoniata anche dai miei recenti post dei loro album "Songs from the big chair" (vedi 3 aprile) e "The seeds of love" (4 aprile), trova conferma in una frase che sono solito dire quando discuto della musica di oggi e della "nostra" gloriosa musica (intendo quella dei vecchioni sulla cinquantina, legati agli anni Sessanta e Settanta): vale a dire, che i Tears for Fears sono, secondo me, l'ultimo vero gruppo di rock (non dico progressivo, ma quasi) che mi abbia affascinato. Un po' troppo indietro nel tempo, vero?
Tornando al disco, non posso fare altro che lodarne le qualità: pezzi briosi, musicalmente "tosti" e al tempo stesso delicati. Da ascoltare assolutamente. Su tutti, preferisco il brano d'apertura omonimo, "Sketches of pain", "Humdrum and humble" e "Me and my big ideas". Ma soprattutto, "Los reyes catolicos", una magnifica "perla" musicale di poco più di un minuto e mezzo: uno dei 20-30 single più belli che abbia mai ascoltato in tutta la mia vita.
Voto personale (scarso / insufficiente / sufficiente / buono / distinto / ottimo / eccellente): Ottimo.

"Raoul and the kings of Spain" is the fifth album by Tears for Fears, a band that would have deserved much more success than they actually did. I'm very fond of them - which is confirmed by my recent posts of "Songs from the big chair" (April 3rd) and "The seeds of love" (April 4th) - and when I talk about today's music and compare it with the glorious music of my generation (i.e. people in their late fourties of fifties, who are keen on the Sixties' and Seventies' rock bands), I always say that Tears for Fears are the last quasi-progressive rock band that really charmed me. Going back 20 years in time is maybe too long ....
Anyway, I can't help but praising "Raoul and the kings of Spain": good tunes, powerful rhythm, delicate sounds. My favourite tracks include the opening title, "Sketches of pain", "Humdrum and humble" and "Me and my big ideas". But there's one song I like best: "Los Reyes Catolicos". I love it to such an exaggerated extent that I rank it among the 20-30 best rock songs I have ever listened to in my life.
My personal mark (very poor / poor / pass / good / fairly good / very good / excellent): Very good.

TEARS FOR FEARS (1995)
Roland Orzabal - chitarre, tastiere, voce (guitars, keyboards, vocals)
Curt Smith - basso, voce (bass, vocals)
Ian Stanley - tastiere, arrangiamenti (keyboards, arrangements)
Manny Elias - batteria e percussioni (drums and percussions)

TRACK LIST:
1. Raoul and the kings of Spain
2. Falling down
3. Secrets
4. God's mistake
5. Sketches of pain
6. Los reyes catolicos
7. Sorry
8. Humdrum and humble
9. I choose you
10. Don't drink the water
11. Me and my big ideas
12. Los reyes catolicos (reprise)

RAOUL AND THE KINGS OF SPAIN (TEARS FOR FEARS) - 68,8 MB

Nessun commento: